Thursday 5 March 2015

Angel Rosa


Spring is finally here! The days are getting longer, exactly what we need: the more daylight the sooner we can pull out and train. I love to be the first one on the heath, if I were on the other side of town I would beat Clive Brittain to the punch :) 
It's been a quiet winter racing wise for me. Only Angel Rosa, the filly that I'm riding in the picture above, ran twice for us in 2015 so far. 
From the outside looking in one would never know what an accomplishment that actually was. So I figured this blog would be a good venue to tell the readers about the unsung heroes and success stories that don't necessarily make the headlines.
Angel Rosa changed hands a few times before she was sent down to me in Newmarket by her lovely owners, who basically acquired her out of pity. Their faith and perseverance made it possible for her to run after 462 days off the track.
"Angel" does live up to her name, it was her that "brought back" two of the best and highly respected riders in Newmarket. One had suffered an open fracture of the tibia the other multi knee ligament damage with avulsion fracture of the medial femoral condyle.

As a great horseman in Kentucky once told me: 

                              "If you look after the horse, the horse will look after you"

2 comments: